If you have a unique look or design in mind for a special wall or room in your home — or you’re not sure what you want, but you’d like it to be special — there is a pretty good chance that a faux finish technique is available to make it so.
It’s never been easier to translate the creative ideas of a homeowner, designer, or one of our artists into reality. In fact, faux finishing techniques are available for nearly every facet of the home, both indoors and out, to make unique looks possible where limited options previously existed.
On the outside of your home, facades, driveways, walkways and other hardscapes made from poured concrete can now look like beautiful stone, pavers or brick. Similarly, interior surfaces can appear — even up close — to be marble, stone, fabric, wood, plaster, wallpaper and more.
A faux finish, or more broadly a decorative or specialty finish, actually covers a wide range of techniques that can be used to enhance the look of a painted surface. The effect can be subtle to just add depth or texture or it can be dramatic to make the surface appear to be a different material entirely (hence the term “faux” or false).
Here are just a few of the possibilities:
- make a kitchen wall appear to be a marble or tile backsplash
- blend wall outlets or switch plates into existing tile, wood paneling or other material
- transform a painted cabinet or piece of furniture into high-end wood, complete with grain and rich wood color
- give a wall or other surface the appearance of being covered with fabric or even leather
- add the appearance of texture to hide the imperfections of a wall or just add interest
- cover a room in your own, custom, wallpaper design (that’s not wallpaper at all)
Using decorative or faux finishing techniques can truly allow you to have your cake and eat it too! Bring design ideas to life while keeping costs down AND enjoying easy maintenance. Imagine a wall that looks like fabric that you can still wipe down with a sponge!
For more information about faux finishing techniques follow the link to a blog post with more details. Curious to see some faux finishing up close? Simply complete the form below or call to schedule an appointment at our one-of-a-kind design studio with a wide variety of techniques on display.
Call Us Now At
- From large murals surfaces, to small details, we can do it
- A variety of techniques including: glazing, stencils, stripes and chevrons, marbleizing, gold leafing, venetian plaster, custom murals
- Custom samples of the artwork so you know how it will look before the project starts
- The same thorough wall preparation as all of our interior projects
- Lacquered or High Gloss Finishes – we are the only “certified professional painter” in Central Virginia that applies Fine Paints of Europe lacquer-like finishes.